Anyway, my plan backfired on me, and all the treadmills were full so I decided to ride the bike for a while. This gave me plenty of time to
- The Huffer-Puffer - this guy is definitely running way too fast for his ability, and trying to impress that cute girl next to him. In his haste to try and break a 10 minute mile, he doesn't notice her engagement ring, and she definitely did not notice him.
- "The Treadmill is going to blow away so I better cling to it for dear life" runner: Hello!! It's a treadmill, not a mountain!! If the incline is set so high that you need to grab the display, set it down a bit. Or better yet, go hike Camelback and open up your treadmill - for me!
- The Shuffler: This one cracks me up. This lady's feet scuffed the treadmill so much, I don't think she had any tread left on her shoes. So much for buying new shoes every 500 miles - this lady is going to need new ones after every workout!! BTW - the definition of running is that both your feet come off the ground at the same time. Otherwise, it's walking. Either way, you're doing it wrong.
- The Screamer: I cannot make this up. This guy was YELLING (at himself?!?) to "keep pushing!!" "one more mile!" "oh yeah, baby!" WTF? And then he grunted - I don't know if he was in pain or if he climaxed... But it was comical.
FINALLY!!! A FREE TREADMILL!!!
- The Inspiration: The girl next to me was ME - a year ago. Overweight, fighting like hell to make it 1/2 mile at 5.0 on the treadmill. Sweating like a pig. I wanted to hug her. She inspired me tonight, to remind myself what running does for me, and to kick it up a notch to show myself just how far I've come. I was literally in her shoes just 365 short days ago, and I wanted to tell her to keep on going, just 1/4 mile more. Instead, as she got off her treadmill, we just nodded at each other. I hope I see her again. And again. And again. Because, if I can do it, so can she.
BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD.