Sunday, February 27, 2011

Surgery is scheduled!

So come to find out I don't have a hernia... I have TWO! One is the umbilical hernia that I knew about, but I also have a ventral hernia that is partially incarcerated. That means that part of my intestines are trapped. So my surgery is scheduled for March 7th, but I'm on a waiting list in case a sooner appointment opens up. I'm also on very strict no running orders from my surgeon so I don't risk completely trapping my intestines and having them get their circulation cut off.

But the good news is that my surgeon also runs, so she totally understands my need to get back to running ASAP. She told me that as soon as I feel up to it, I can start walking, and after about 3 weeks, she's okay if I start light running again. JOY! I may still make San Diego after all!!!

In the meantime, I feel like I'm living vicariously through everyone else's runs... I saw a guy running the other night on my way home from work, and I just about started crying. My legs are itching to run. I feel like I'm going crazy!! So enjoy every good and bad run you have - you never know when you'll be sidelined for a few weeks!!! And run a mile or two for me!

4 comments:

  1. So sorry for you! I totally understand the jealousy of other runners when you can't. That's great that your surgeon is a runner though, you'll be back before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a very speedy recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl I am so sorry to hear you have two of those suckers. I am sure you will be back to running soon. just give me a shout if you wanna go hiking/walking when you are better. I trained for a half marathon when I couldn't run that way and did great.
    I am sure you are a tough cookie and will be back in the swing of things lickety split!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So to deal with your lack of running what are you going to write about? I hope you keep writing as i find your blog totally cool. And I really want to be cool so i am hoping it rubs off on me :)

    ReplyDelete